Some good news and some better news

The blog has been quiet lately because I have been waiting on the graduate committee to pronounce judgment on my dissertation prospectus. And—at long last—I received word on Monday that I passed! I filed paperwork on Wednesday, and today the news is finally starting to sink in. I’m officially a PhD candidate, meaning that I have finished all coursework and exams to get the degree. I’m ABD—All But Dissertation—a made-up academic rank that bestows upon the owner long periods of malaise, despair, and, eventually, death. Oh wait, sorry, that was the plot of Lost in Translation. My bad.

In more practical terms, it means I have a masters degree. I’m not sure what you can do with a Masters in English that you couldn’t do with a Bachelors, but I assume it includes berets and other silly hats. Until I find out, I’m going to practice my ennui and continue to talk about overly long pretentious novels in my best Monty Python voice.

In other news, I finally got a “smart” phone (for an Android, it has terrible spelling) and have been catching up on techie trends of the past two years. It turns out I suck at Words with Friends. Go figure. Email me and we’ll set up a challenge if you don’t believe me.

I have lots of stuff to write about regarding the dissertation, adventures in library-carrel-decorating, and the novel, but for now I’m catching up on what I missed during the past three weeks. Chat with me on twitter (@AnnaSaikin) and stay tuned for more fun and exciting updates!

Keep writing, my friends.

Advertisements

10 thoughts on “Some good news and some better news

1. Christine says:

Congrats! And some community colleges will hire you with a master's in English. Big time stuff, haha. Not that I should talk since I "just" have a BA (master's in education, though) and am stuck with teenagers in the wonderful world of high school.

2. Anna says:

Husband teaches HS, and I make him chaperone prom every year so I can go and pretend I'm 18 again. Or alternatively, remind myself how glad I am not to be 18 again!

3. L.G.Smith says:

Nothing wrong with wearing funny hats. Congratulations. I saw your tweet about ABD and didn't know what that was. Glad to know it's something great!

4. Libby says:

Congrats on passing! Also, congrats on the smart phone. I wish I didn't "need" mine. I used to scoff at cell phones, now I feel naked without one.

5. Sherrinda Ketchersid says:

I saw your comment on Jody Hedlund's blog and thought I'd stop over. And wow…congratulations! That's quite an achievement. And may I say I'm jealous of the smart phone. I don't have anything smart at my house…not even cable! One day though…

6. Neurotic Workaholic says:

Sorry it took me so long to comment on this post; I've been caught up with graduate work too. Congratulations on passing! I bet you feel like a weight's been lifted off your shoulders now, right? You should definitely do something fun now to treat yourself, because you deserve it. After I got my master's degree, I started teaching at different colleges as an adjunct; it was definitely an eye-opening experience because it was good to work in different environments that I wasn't accustomed to yet.

Comments are closed.